September 9, 2015

I wasn't going to write a review but here it is anyway (Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas)

 photo queenofshadowscollagetext_zps8ijersuo.png

Here are my thoughts after finishing Queen of Shadows. I wasn't going to write a review or discussion on this book because 99% of the book blogging community has already done that but I just needed to talk about this beauty and so I started typing and oops here's a review anyway.

[THIS IS NOT A SPOILER-FREE REVIEW!]



Who run this motha?

This review probably won't have any structure whatsoever but I just need to talk about this wonderful book. Queen of Shadows is probably my favorite book of the year and it's because of it's characters and their development. There is literally not one woman in this book that wasn't brave or strong or independent or straight up kick ass. I even started liking Manon, while in Heir of Fire I couldn't get through her chapters fast enough. I literally couldn't care less about her and the other witches.

A good book needs plot twists and that's exactly what SJM gave us

I loved the plot twists and Aelin's plotting and her neat little tricks. The scene at the dinner with Arobynn shocked me so much and I was scared to death until the three of them arrived home and she just took off the ring. My jaw was basically on the floor. Not to mention that revelation about Perrington. FUCKING PERRINGTON?! And Kaltain. It's been too long since I read the first two books and I couldn't remember what actually happened to her but I was cheering when she got her revenge for what they've done to her.

Ships have sunk, ships have sailed

I started reading this book thinking that it would be impossible for Rowan not to be in it because COME ON. You can imagine how glad I was when he showed up. I didn't see the change in his relationship with Aelin coming though to be honest. I was kinda into the platonic relationship thing although I thought the two of them would make a great pair whatever their relationship was. In the end I'm cool with it, though I instantly thought to myself "some people are gonna be pissed off about this" and what do you know... people really are pissed off about it. I don't get it though. I've seen people say that the ship was forced or whatever like have you not read Heir of Fire? There's literally a book and a half of build-up. I've read a post on Tumblr of someone explaining why Aelin would never have ended up with Dorian or Chaol. Here it is if you are interested. I completely see it the same way. 

Here's why you need to read The Assassin's Blade

There were many, many references to the events in The Assassin's Blade in this book which made me wonder if they are in every book and I only noticed them now that I've read it (which btw biggest mistake of my life I should have gotten that book before I ever started Crown of Midnight but I didn't even know they existed, let alone that they were such a big part of the 'bigger story') or if it was only in Queen of Shadows. Either way, loved the references. Loved Lysandra as well. Her character is so interesting and I loved how she played such a big part in QoS. She came across as shallow in TAB but after what she did in QoS I can't help but think how many times we come across people like this in real life. People that act like their dumb, naive and shallow while on the inside there's so much more going on? 

Basically: Throne of Glass series = life

Because of the many references and the fact I completely blanked on who the hell Kaltain was again (apart from being Perrington's wife) I think a reread will be in order soon. Or maybe before the fifth book comes out, we'll see. Needless to say, I loved this book and it's my new favorite of the series and of the entire freakin year. Now there's another year of waiting for the next one but on the other hand I want it to last forever. If this were to go on for another ten books I'd read them all. Gladly. But there's only so much stories to tell, right?

What did you think of Queen of Shadows? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM