April 5, 2015

BOOK REVIEW | Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Basic information
Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Series: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1
Genre: young adult
Published: June 2011

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.
A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.
A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography.


This was one of those books where you're not really sure whether you'll like it or not but you take the plunge anyway just because you're a badass like that. Honestly, I am so happy I took the plunge because this was a very interesting and fun read.

First of all: I'm glad I bought this book in the hardcover edition because it is absolutely stunning. Worth every penny. The book itself (without dust jacket) is different from the other hardcovers I own and it has a nice little inscription on it. The inside has a very nice theme going that suits the story very well. The numerous antique photographs are what made this book extra special though. It shows Ransom Riggs' love for photography (which btw: he's absolutely GREAT at!) and adds a nice touch to the story. Whether the story is based on the photographs or the other way around I'm not sure but they fit perfectly together. Looking at this book, it shows how much love and work was put into it which made me appreciate the book only more.

I loved the story and how mysterious everything is. Sometimes it got a little scary and at one point I started to wonder if this would turn out to be a horror story but it isn't. It has that eeriness but it's not like you won't sleep at night. Unfortunately I knew a few details about these peculiar children but that didn't ruin the book for me at all. The pacing was fast but not too fast. Good fast. I never had a moment where I thought "is this gonna take any longer". There's action and plot twists all throughout the book. The writing style was also fun and easy to get through.

Because of the eeriness I talked about earlier, this could be a great read around Halloween but don't let that stop you from reading Miss Peregrine's whenever you want.

I haven't seen this book pop up on many blogs and bookstagrams I follow. There has been some talk about it on Booktube but also not all that much. I think Miss Peregrine's deserves much more attention and love than it is getting. The book itself is different, unique and dare I say it... peculiar. I think that's what made me love it the most: it's quite unlike anything I have ever read.

So to conclude my book review of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I would say that if you are unsure about picking it up, I encourage you to do it because I ended up liking it a lot and you might as well. Happy reading!

9 comments:

  1. YES. OMG YAY.


    This is my next "to read" and I feel like such a badass because I also bought hollow city and I have no idea if either are good. But I do want them both on my shelf despite it because the covers are so pretty!


    So glad to hear that you loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the spines are really pretty! Especially together! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did or even more. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this book checked out from the library before and never got around to reading it, but you're making me consider just buying it right off the bat and I rarely do that, especially with an author I've never read before!
    I actually have heard a lot about this book, especially when it first came out and I wasn't even a part of the book blogging community then so I'm surprised when you say you haven't heard much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad my review made you excited to read the book!


    I haven't come across all that many book reviews on Miss Peregrine's (both in the book blogging community as the booktube community) or on social media. I mean, it's been around but that's it. But although I want it to get more attention, I'm also glad it wasn't a hype at some point (and make me have super high expectations) or that people spoiled the story for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I tried reading this book last year but I had to put it down because I was just not enjoying it and I personally felt that it was dragging on but I'm glad you didn't have the same problem as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes when a book gets too much hype I have such high expectations for it that I won't like it just because it never managed to exceed or even meet those expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly! I've had this with so many books... It's just no fun when you end up disappointed :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review Kaylie - I really enjoyed this one too - especially with those creepy photos throughout! It just made the whole story seem so much more feasible and realistic. It's definitely unique and a book that looks pretty on a shelf (which is always a plus).

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM