November 17, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Young Elites by Marie Lu

 photo 20821111_zps0ef7aa0d.jpg

Title: The Young Elites
Author: Marie Lu 
Series: The Young Elites #1
Genre: high-fantasy
Published: October 2014

I am tired of being used, hurt, and cast aside.
Adelina Amouteru is a survivor of the blood fever. A decade ago, the deadly illness swept through her nation. Most of the infected perished, while many of the children who survived were left with strange markings. Adelina’s black hair turned silver, her lashes went pale, and now she has only a jagged scar where her left eye once was. Her cruel father believes she is a malfetto, an abomination, ruining their family’s good name and standing in the way of their fortune. But some of the fever’s survivors are rumored to possess more than just scars—they are believed to have mysterious and powerful gifts, and though their identities remain secret, they have come to be called the Young Elites.
Teren Santoro works for the king. As Leader of the Inquisition Axis, it is his job to seek out the Young Elites, to destroy them before they destroy the nation. He believes the Young Elites to be dangerous and vengeful, but it’s Teren who may possess the darkest secret of all.
Enzo Valenciano is a member of the Dagger Society. This secret sect of Young Elites seeks out others like them before the Inquisition Axis can. But when the Daggers find Adelina, they discover someone with powers like they’ve never seen.
Adelina wants to believe Enzo is on her side, and that Teren is the true enemy. But the lives of these three will collide in unexpected ways, as each fights a very different and personal battle. But of one thing they are all certain: Adelina has abilities that shouldn’t belong in this world. A vengeful blackness in her heart. And a desire to destroy all who dare to cross her.
 It is my turn to use. My turn to hurt.


This book was not what I had in mind when first reading about it. It was much better. The Young Elites is in fact, a high-fantasy novel and not a dystopian as I first thought. You know I love my fantasy books so you can only imagine my excitement when I read about this entirely new world with kings and queens and beasts I have never heard of.

The main character, Adelina, is the most flawed YA lead I have read so far. It is quite refreshing to have an MC that is more of a villain than to be expected. Which leads to questions like: will she be able to turn her back on her dark side?
 This story is about a girl who pulls strength from others' fear and anger and I think it will be intriguing to see her transformation, if there will be one.

Not only the main character, but the others too had some dark side to them. Enzo is quite the mysterious guy and we actually learn next to nothing about him in this book. There are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding Enzo and I would've loved to learn more about him.
 Same for Teren, what do we actually learn about him? I really enjoyed reading a book where the characters are flawed and prefer violence and pain because it's something different for once.



Marie Lu took her writing to the next level with her new series and my expectations for the sequel are high now.

5 comments:

  1. I read this one this weekend and I am still a little traumatized. It was definitely darker and more emotional than I expected but I kind of loved that about it. I agree about the characters having a dark side. They were some of the most ruthless characters I have ever read about and that includes adult novels. I'm excited to see where this series leads, I thought this was an incredible start! Great review.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Definitely a promising fantasy series!

      Delete
  2. i LOVED legend, the whole reading experience was almost like watching a fast-paced, action packed movie ahh love love love. i'm super excited for the young elites especially because it's told from the villian's perspective (muahaha), and OH I TRUST MARIE LU. so excited!! thank you for the amazing review ;)

    alicia @ noverly things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people say they experienced Legend as a fast-paced movie but I didn't feel that way, haha. Pretty much every character in The Young Elites is a villain in a way, I love it.

      Delete
  3. I'm itching to click on the SPOILER button right there LOL
    I'm a big fan of Marie Lu's Legend series. It's nothing I've ever read before. So this book is definitely on my to-read list ^^ great review!

    Check out my Series Review of The Lotus War Trilogy

    Happy Reading~ ^^

    ~ Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM