September 21, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins


Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins 
Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1
Genre: paranormal, romance
Published: May 2012

Embrace the Forbidden What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels. Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

Sweet Evil is your typical paranormal romance book. In this case there's angels and demons and heightened senses. Our MC's are Nephilim, a term I always associate with The Mortal Instruments. It has the same addictive effect as the Lux series to me, I'll tell you why later on. Now, you might know that I don't enjoy reading about angels that much. It was all good in TMI and TID but the other 'angel books' I've read so far were a let-down for me. Luckily none of the characters in this book had wings (thank god)!

I think this book/series has a lot of success because of the romance. It's straight up nerve-wracking to root for these two characters. And since it's a trilogy there's bound to be more tension to come. The angels I could care less about but the romance is what kept me reading to be honest.

It's kind of a cliché romance though. There's your good girl, who has her priorities straight and has the right morales and then you have the good-looking, British, bad boy that is going to change her entire life and beliefs. And of course: the girl is trying to get the guy's good side to come out. Same old, same old.

Along with the clichées, there was another aspect of this book that bothered me a bit. If you haven't read Sweet Evil yet than I recommend you not check out the spoiler.



I don't read paranormal books too often and in the beginning I thought this book was going to be awful, yet as I kept reading I started to enjoy it more. I guess I had to get used to the writing style because I felt like the language was a bit young. We experience everything through Anna's POV and at times she sounded like a naive high school girl and that's probably why I thought the language was young. All in all, Sweet Evil was an enjoyable read, seeing as it only took me 2 days to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM