July 17, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson


Basic information
Title: The Final Empire (Goodreads)
Author: Brandon Sanderson (Website)
Series: Mistborn #1
Gerne: high-fantasy
Published: Gollancz in 2006
Goodreads

In a world where ash falls from the sky, and mist dominates the night, an evil cloaks the land and stifles all life. The future of the empire rests on the shoulders of a troublemaker and his young apprentice. Together, can they fill the world with colour once more?In Brandon Sanderson's intriguing tale of love, loss, despair and hope, a new kind of magic enters the stage - Allomancy, a magic of the metals.



If you have not heard about the Mistborn series by now you've a) been living under a rock or b) not been born yet. A few months ago these books exploded on the internet and ever since then, everyone's been reading them. Including me. And I haven't regretted that choice for even one nanosecond.

While this world and its magic are something intricate, it's still easy to follow and understand. The magic in this series is something unique and unlike anything I've read about magic before. Then again, I've been surprised before but still... As for world-building: there isn't much information in what the rest of the Final Empire looks like though there are still two sequels where this part of the story can be discussed. In this first book you kind of get a glimpse but not much more.

The characters in this book were simply brilliant and had such amazing character development. It was almost unreal to read about a character that changed to much yet kept being that same person. It's kind of hard to explain. I love character development and it sometimes takes an entire series to actually see that the characters changed but not with the Mistborn series.

Basically, if you haven't read this book or haven't even considered picking it up: you are missing out on something great and you will regret not giving it a chance. Especially if you generally enjoy fantasy and epic fantasy books. Brandon Sanderson is a wonderful writer and I'm sure he'll surprise me even more in the future when I'll be reading his other books. For now I'll be enjoying his Mistborn  series but I'm positive his other series will follow shortly after.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I've made it my goal to get started in this book before the summer! I keep seeing it everywhere and I'm very interested to try it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should. It's really worth it!

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM