February 13, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)Basic information
Title: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Goodreads)
Author: Patrick Ness (Website | Twitter)
Series: Chaos Walking #1
Genre: ya fiction, science fiction, dystopia
Published by: Walker in May 2008 | My edition: Uitgeverij Moon in January 2013

Synopsis
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?  


Review

Well, I’m glad that I have listened to other people and I’m glad I took the risk of buying the box set! The Knife of Never Letting Go is such a good book. God, that ending.  I’m sure I’ll enjoy the sequels just as much.

This book is something different to what I have read in the past. It’s a dystopian but it’s unlike any of the others I’ve read so far. First of all there’s the different writing style that the author used in this book. It’s a little getting used to, I admit. It makes the main character so real and down to earth.  It’s actually pretty funny sometimes even though this book is nothing close to funny. Just the way Todd would say something, it made the experience of reading the book more fun. I also liked the world building in this one, you always knew exactly what everything looked like without having pages upon pages of description. This world, New World, it’s so cruel! I’ve never read a YA book with so many villains in it. And God… are they evil!

The main character Todd is twelve when this adventure starts and I think he’s the toughest twelve year old I have read about so far. He’s gone through so much in this book I can’t believe he hasn’t lost his wits already. I also loved Manchee, because he’s a dog and I love dogs. I thought it was funny how all the animals could talk, not that they had a lot to say. There’s also a bunch of characters you just hate. Really hate. Because they’re just so evil! I can’t believe how many people there are in this book that are after Todd. It’s insane.
Another thing I appreciated about this book is that there is no love story (or at least not yet, idk). Bonus points!

The Knife of Never Letting Go is very fast-paced and suspenseful. I highly recommend this book to anyone that likes to read young adult fiction. Or if you just want to read a good book in general.



Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

2 comments:

  1. Uh huh. Haven't read this one, but I couldn't get myself, not to read your spoiler section! I'll have to pick it up soon! It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now..

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Maybe I should put my spoilers into a 'Hide spoiler' section after all and not just the read more button... I hope I didn't ruin the book for you.

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM