January 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW | Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Basic information
Title: Obsidian (Goodreads)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout (Website | Twitter)
Series: Lux #1
Genre: romance, ya fiction,
Published by: Entangled Teen in May 2012

Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.
Review
If you plan on reading this book, note that there is no turning back once you’ve started. You’ll get sucked in and get addicted to it. And I mean for real. I’m not the person that’s into cheesy, ‘I hate you but I love you’ relationships but this book… ugh. The Lux series is a guilty read. Like Fifty Shades of Grey but without the sex and everything. Lame story, addicting romance.

I thought Daemon was a jerk and it got on my nerves after a while. I feel like it was a little over done. I can see that the character is supposed to be sassy and all but it was too much.

The main character turns out to be a book blogger. That’s the first (and probably last)  time I’ve read about a character that is an actual book blogger that does book hauls etc. This wasn’t worked out very well though. It got mentioned a few times but we never see Katy reading anything. Bummer.

I can definitely see the parallels with Twilight. I also think it has some similarities with a less popular book called Dinner With a Vampire. It’s the same when it comes to the main character’s relationship with the guy. He’s rude to her but she falls for him nevertheless. I heard there’s also parallels with the Lorien Legacies series but I haven’t read that so I don’t really know.


Those of you who are looking for a good, worked out story with a decent plot shouldn’t pick this one up. If you are, however, looking for a book that you can get through fairly quickly and you’re not afraid of a lot of romance and you are willing to accept the alien-part with it, then read it. It’s not the best out there, actually it’s pretty lame and ridiculous, but it’s so addicting… I already got the second and third book, I couldn’t help myself.

PS: worst cover designs ever, they're so cheesy!

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads | YouTube

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good and I love books that completely suck you in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then this one's totally something you should try! :)

      Delete

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM