July 6, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Delirium (Delirium, #1)

Basic Information
Title: Delirium (Goodreads)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Series: Delirium #1
Genre: dystopian
Published by: HarperCollins, February 2012



Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.




Love, also known as amor deliria nervosa, is an illness that needs to be cured. Love affects the mind so you can’t think clearly. It’s a dangerous thing, falling in love. Lena looks forward to being cured, to not be able to be infected with this disease, until she falls in love herself and everything changes.

 Lena, the protagonist, is pro-cure in the beginning of the story until she learns that there are things outside her society, that there are lies being told about it and of course until she falls in love. She changes a lot in this book for obvious reasons. Hana, Lena’s best friend, doesn’t have that much character development but I still like her a lot and I wished there was more of her in this book. I’m definitely reading the novella about her. I think she’s amazing. Then we have Alex. We don’t know too much about him or his past. I mean not the details such as who was his family etc. Even though there isn’t much clear about him, we feel like we know him anyway. I’m very anxious to know what happened to him but I have a feeling it didn’t end too well.


What I like most about this book, is that every single character, even the ones that only get mentioned, have background and depth. They aren’t just there. No, there is always a story or something to give them color. I love that! It makes you feel connected with the characters. Though the overall plotline is nothing new and a little predictable there were some plot twists I didn’t see coming but loved nevertheless.

Follow this potterhead on Bloglovin' | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM