April 18, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)

Basic information
Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Genre: young adult, paranormal
Published by: Simon and Schuster in October 2012


Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past. She can’t. She used to think her problems were all in her head. They aren’t. She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets. She’s wrong. In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

I don’t have much to say about the characters apart from the fact that they are amazing. It says on the back of the book that Noah has secrets and it’s like they are making a big deal out of it while in reality we don’t read much about his ‘secrets’. He doesn’t want to share everything with Mara because of personal reasons and we have to accept that. I don’t like him as much as in the first book but that’s because he was more to himself. He also wasn’t as funny. Mara is struggling with herself and the dreams she’s been having. I don’t know about those but they are pretty creepy in some way. Who is the little girl? Is that her grandmother? I really don’t know! Dr. Kells was a character I didn’t like from the beginning. The way Mara described her made me feel like ‘meh…’ and then when that huge plot twist came around I was like: I should’ve seen that one coming. I don’t think anyone saw that one coming though.  More about that later on. I thought it was suspicious that Jamie was at Horizons and I immediately suspected he had some kind of magical powers or maybe this is a more suiting description: supernatural/paranormal abilities. Phoebe’s boyfriend and her little schemes weren’t hard to figure out. I knew she was involved with Jude from the beginning. Speaking about Jude, we don’t know much about him do we? That’s something that could’ve been worked better but I’m not complaining.

Throughout the book I was like: are we getting answers or what? It’s like Michelle Hodkin waited to the end of the book to give us SOME answers. We figured out Mara isn’t having hallucinations but that Jude is messing with her. Though I think the incident with the earrings in the first book was a real hallucination. Not sure though, I think Jude has been messing with Mara for a very long time.
I couldn’t believe her mother the whole entire time. Why doesn’t she LISTEN to her daughter. It’s not because you’re a psychologist that you know everything that’s going on inside your child’s head. For god’s sake I could smack that woman’s head against a wall or two.
I feel like we haven’t learned much in this book. It feels more like a bridge between the first book and the third. I don’t know what the heck will happen to these supernatural kids, why they have their abilities etc. And most important of all: Noah. I ain’t buying it. She would ruin her entire series if what is told in this book about him at the end is true. I’m not okay with it and I’m not believing it. Nope. Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM