March 14, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Basic information
Title: Cinder (Goodreads)
Author: Marissa Meyer (Website)
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Genre: sci-fi, dystopian, fairytale re-telling
Published: January 2012

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Review
This book was a little slow in the beginning although important things happen at page 1 already. I don’t know but it felt like it was all happening at a very slow pace. Towards the middle it began to be more suspenseful. I didn’t think I would like this book but I enjoyed reading it a whole lot and I’m looking forward to the sequel (which comes out this week in Belgium HURRAH). The concept of cyborgs and androids is completely new to me. I have never read any science fiction novel before but I gotta say I like the idea. Not in reality but in this story (lol). The normal people in this society despise cyborgs and that’s why Cinder tries to hide that side of her. Does this hate come from jealousy or are people even more judgemental than they are now? Interesting addition to this story although it’s probably only added to make Cinder’s situation more difficult.
The Lunars are also something completely new. Never read any story about people actually living on the moon. I’m asking myself this question: how is that even possible? That question didn’t get answered in this book as well as other questions like why was there a fourth world war or what does the Eastern Empire consist of? What countries are in there? Are there even still countries? There aren’t much details about the world they live in apart from the fact that all the continents have united. The pimped story of the original fairy tale Cinderella is really cool. I like the way she changed it and made it more modern

I like most of the characters but there is something bothering me. What does Cinder actually look like? I can’t remember reading a description of her hair and face and all the other stuff. I also only found out she’s around 16 near the end of the book. Kai could also have been a little less flat. I don’t want to sound like I absolutely hated this book because that is not the case at all but I feel like the author didn’t focus on her main characters as much. I don’t exactly ship Kai x Cinder but I definitely want them to be together.

If you are into retellings, definitely check out Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM