February 23, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Prodigy by Marie Lu

prodigy-marie-lu
Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #2
Genre: dystopian
Published by: Putnam Juvenile in January 2013

Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?



This is not a spoiler-free review!

I liked Legend a lot and actually read it twice. Of course I was looking forward to Prodigy, its sequel. Prodigy starts where we left off with Day and June in the train. No skipped days or big changes we didn’t read about. In this book Day and June join the Patriots in return for a favor. They need to kill Anden, the new Elector. When I say there are a lot of plot twists I mean there are A LOT of plot twists. I didn’t expect the ending to go like that. Not that it is bad (only heartbreaking) or something but I just didn’t see it coming. And I’m kind of happy that it didn’t turn out like every other dystopian YA novel. That’s what makes this series so good. I have no idea what will happen in the sequel (that is called ‘Champion’ btw) to Day and June and all the other characters we didn’t really get closure for.

A lot of characters were different of better in this one. For example Tess, I think we can all agree on that one, she was different. She wasn’t the quiet, sweet girl from Legend. She was a more independent version of her Legend-self. She was also being a jealous little bitch sometimes but I can forgive her. As for Kaede: she was great in this one. In the  beginning you’re like ‘who the fuck are you ACTUALLY?’ because she’s being vague about a lot of things. Anden is also someone I didn’t quite trust in the beginning (in fact I doubted him until the last few chapters) and Razor… I saw that one coming from the first I time I read his name. I just didn’t know what it was going to be that would be off about him. I hope he died somewhere or at least got arrested but I can feel deep down that he’s still out there.

I give Prodigy 5 stars but it wasn’t as good as Legend. It wasn’t bad at all, I really enjoyed reading it, I love where Marie Lu is going with this and hope 2014 is here soon because I can’t wait for that sequel! If you haven’t read Legend and for some reason you are reading my review: what do you think you’re doing?! READ LEGEND!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM