January 9, 2013

BOOK REVIEW | Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


Basic information
Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me #1
Published by: Harper in November 2011
I have a curse
I have a gift
I am a monster
I'm more than human
My touch is lethal My touch is power
I am their weapon I will fight back
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days. The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now. Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I love Juliette. She is so good, so concerned about other people. When they give her things she knows (and they know) she wants, she just rejects them because she doesn’t like these damn people. Juliette doesn’t let herself be persuaded by goods and money. She is smarter than any other female character that I’ve read about before in YA fiction (except Katniss Everdeen). While the other girls would be confused by a note that says ‘nothing is what it seems’, Juliette immediately gets the picture. Oh the boy acts all cold hearted and not interested? He must hate me so much, he never loved me, how could I be so stupid and blind, I hate myself *cough* Meghan Chase *cough*. No. Juliette just GETS IT. You go girl.

Warner… I know a lot of people love him and a lot of people really hate him. I can’t say I hate him. I don’t hate him at all. Yes he’s the villain, he has the wrong intensions, he’s a bit bloodthirsty and I don’t believe he can feel love at all. Or maybe a little. But he acts this way because he has to. He doesn’t actually say it but if you ask me… his father is being very hard on him. There have been things with his parents, things in his childhood that have made him this way. Maybe I should read Destroy Me to understand Warner and the relationship he has with his father more.
As for Adam. Adam… Is he supposed to portray the guy nearly every girl wants? The one that has been crazy about you since primary school? Because I think he’s doing a pretty good at being that. His relationship with Kenji is a bit vague to me. I mean, all of a sudden Kenji was just there. He wasn’t really mentioned before. ‘Oh I know him’. That’s all.

I cannot get enough of the way Tahereh Mafi describes things, feelings, thoughts. It’s so deep, so poetic almost. It’s so accurate at times. There were moments I was thinking about what I just read and tried to picture it and thought to myself: it’s so damn true. Also, the way words/sentences are crossed out is different. Some may like it, some may not. I do. I think it portrays the way the human brain thinks pretty accurately. How many times do we not think about something and at the last moment choose another word, choose a different description of something? A lot of times. I absolutely love this writing style and I hope TM doesn’t give up on it in her future books in the Shatter Me series. I also hope that the relationship between Juliette and Adam won’t complicate things, won’t be first priority and won’t screw things up. There was a lot of romance in this book, maybe a little too much, so be warned. Overall: the pace is really good, there is always something happening. It picks up immediately and doesn’t stop until the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM