December 12, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa


Basic information
Title: The Iron Daughter (Goodreads)
Author: Julie Kagawa (Website)
Series: The Iron Fey #2
Genre: fantasy
Published by: Harlequin Teen in August 2012

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


Review
In the sequel to The Iron King, Meghan has to face the Iron fea again. In the beginning we find our protagonist at the Winter Court where her beloved Ash acts like a douche and this girl is stupid enough to believe his act. Every sensible person can see that he’s doing it for the sake of the show. We know he’ll save Meghan’s ass (read: plenty of times) in the end. However in the middle of their quest to retain the Scepter (which has been stolen by the Iron fae) he decides to leave Meghan and Puck because the two just can’t be together. Okay…
This girl is so devastated that she turns to Puck who happens to just confess his feelings for her and sorry for my rudeness: she takes advantage of his goodness. Leading him on while she secretly is still weeping over Ash. When shit is going down and they all get hurt (apart from Meghan who’s always at the sideline) she forgets all about Pucks wound and turns to Ash to help save his life. I can’t imagine what Puck must have felt like being ignored and forgotten like this. He acts like he doesn’t care and helps save Ash’s life. Well, if that isn’t a good friend I don’t know what is. I mean he stands by her side even though she doesn’t even like him and doesn’t look after him at all. In the ‘main battle’ (that’s what I like to call the big fight before everything goes back to normal) Meghan turns out to have the power to control iron and she is of use after all. I really hope she starts fighting her own fights in The Iron Queen because it’s starting to annoy me that someone else always has to rescue her. Anyways, after the Scepter is returned, Ash confesses his feelings for Meghan to Mab and he has to swear the oath. He can’t do it and he is banished to the human world. Surprise, surprise, Meghan goes after him. The end.

I didn’t like The Iron Daughter as much as The Iron King and it took me longer to finish this one. I don’t know the exact reason. Maybe because I never sat down and read for hours straight or because I was irritated by Meghan or because it seemed a bit repetitive to me. Both books have a similar plot to me. However I still gave it 4 stars because there are aspects of the book that I enjoyed and because I like this world with fae. I think it’s original and would like to read more about it. Looking forward to April 2013 when The Iron Queen comes out where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM