August 9, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare


Basic information
Title: City of Glass (Goodreads)
Author: Cassandra Clare (Website)
Series: The Mortal Instruments #2
Genre: urban fantasy
Published: March 2008

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father. To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?



Review
Just like City of Bones, this one contains a lot of action and plot twists. It makes you want more and more,  you can’t stop reading sometimes. It reads very quickly. I was halfway through without even realizing.
You can feel that there is something big about to happen in the next book. Valentine can’t keep escaping and there is much more going on now in Idris. I just can’t wait to find out what. I’ve seen some spoilers in the past before I even started reading this series so there are things that I already know but not how it’s going to happen. I expected the scene with Jace and Clary in the restaurant so that wasn’t a big shock. I like the cliff-hanger which kind of changes the setting of the next book.

There are some new characters introduced (Imogen Herondale, Maryse and Robert,…) both likeable and not. I seriously hated Imogen sometimes,  just her arguments and her way of thinking annoyed me. There are some characters that I grew to appreciate more, like Alec, he really grew on me. And I felt sorry for Simon at some point. I mean his life got so much more complicated since he knows about the Shadowhunters and all that stuff and he could’ve just walked out of it and live his life as normal as possible but he chose to be involved and now he’s turned into a Downworlder. Not to mention his complicated relationship with Clary. And is it just me or are we seeing a weaker Jace? I mean, one that shows his emotions? I like that there are different POV’s though I have my favorites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM