July 5, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | Passion by Lauren Kate


Basic information
Title: Passion
Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen #3
Genre: young adult, paranormal
Published by: Delacorte Press in 2011


‘Every single lifetime, I'll choose you. Just as you have chosen me. Forever.’
Luce would die for Daniel. And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way . . . Luce is certain that something – or someone – in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.
Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history. Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.

Writing rather negative reviews really isn’t my favorite thing to do but sometimes it just has to be done. Reading Torment was already tormenting but I thought I’d give Passion a chance even though I didn’t expect too much of it. Good thing I didn’t because the disappointment would’ve been enormous.

Passion starts where Torment left off and follows Luce with her quest to finding out where this curse comes from, if Daniel really loves her or if it’s just routine, etc. We now also read what Daniel is doing to keep up with Luce but that’s as far as it goes. You might have expected to get to know his side of the story was but no, we don’t learn anything about him. Instead, we learn some things about Cam’s past but that’s all. I had the urge to continue reading even though it’s constantly the same pattern: there is a lot of continuation. Example: Luce keeps doing this 3D-thing but after a few times I got sick of it and it just got boring. Luce wants to experience what it feels like to die, to go up in flames over and over again like it’s a ride in a theme park she can’t get enough of. Another thing I didn’t like so much: why did it take her so long to understand that Daniel’s love is for realz and that he is the one suffering the most in this curse because I figured that bit out in Fallen already. Did Lauren Kate just want to remind us or does she really want to make Luce look like a naïve young girl?

To keep the reader entertained (not that it really worked in my case), Kate throws in a living gargoyle called Bill like it’s the most common thing to do. Luce trusts Bill right away and I think I just answered my previous question: Luce really is a naïve girl. Throughout Luce’s journey Bill has been the only one providing answers to her many questions but he popped up out of nowhere and that makes it seem like Kate was out of inspiration or just couldn’t come up with a smoother entrance for this character. The fact that he knows every single detail of all Luce’s earlier lives makes him look quite suspicious to me but Luce doesn’t really notice that this might be just a bit creepy.
I also don’t get how Luce visits these particular places while she doesn’t even know she was ever there? That doesn’t really makes sense to me. Another thing I don’t quite get is what Satan is up to and why. It was also quite hard for me to picture heaven in my head and I don’t really understand the relationship between Lucifer and the rest of them but that‘s probably because I’m not religious.

Thanks to Daniel, Luce now got herself into doing something dangerous that could ruin her present life. I don’t blame her for wanting answers since Daniel refused to give her any in Torment. She travels through Anouncers to her previous lives, you could pretty much call her a time traveler. Because we go back in history, the book reminds me of a historical fiction novel instead of YA but I don’t really mind. In the beginning Luce travels alone and at some points she just completely lost it. She didn’t know what to believe and what to think until Bill came around and started explaining things, helping her understand the situations better. The gargoyle wasn’t enough to stop her from being reckless and stupid though. Luce would just walk up to her ‘previous her’ and tell her not to meet Daniel or she couldn’t help herself and she would just make out with a Daniel from the past. That made me realize that Luce is more than just in love with this guy, she’s pretty much obsessed. Hard-core obsessed even. If the title of this book refers to Luce’s and Daniel’s relationship than I think ‘Obsession’ was more accurate (at least in Luce’s case). Isn’t it dangerous to mess with your past like that? Luce constantly does something stupid and shakes things up while everyone tells her not to. I think Luce has issues. And if I was Bill (one with good intentions) I would’ve left the girl the minute she did something stupid, just saying.

The reason I want to give this series a chance is because I thoroughly enjoyed Fallen though that one was a bit boring in the beginning as well but when you got more into it there was suspense and action and that’s what I miss in the sequels. By the way: how do you interpret this book? A sequel or a prequel? Interesting… The idea of fallen angels and the curse is pretty good but I find that Lauren Kate ruined it by making her protagonist such a dislikeable person.
I don’t know what to expect from Rapture, the Dutch translation is called Extase and comes out in September I believe so I do have some time to decide if I want to know what will happen next or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM