July 31, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | Betrayed by PC Cast and Kristin Cast


Basic information
Title: Betrayed (Goodreads)
Author(s): P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast (Website)
Series: House of Night #2
Genre: paranormal
Published: October 2007

Zoey, High Priestess in training, has managed to settle in at the House of Night and come to terms with the vast powers the Vampyre Goddess Nyx has given her. Just as she finally feels she belongs, the unthinkable happens: human teenagers are being killed, and all evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey’s old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves.

Betrayed is the second installment in the House of Night series and is just as nerve wrecking as its prequel. Here is a not so positive review on it.

As expected, the same lingo as in Marked is used in this one. It bugs me because it makes everything sound so immature and stereotypical. If you don’t know what I mean: try picturing your stereotypical American teenage girl have a conversation with her friends and herself.

The overuse of ‘hag bitch from hell’ and words like ‘slut’ annoy me immensely. While the story is obviously targeted at younger teens, the use of this vocab makes it necessary to add ‘not suitable for younger readers’ at the back of the book though I’m sure no one cares (or even notices this warning) and a lot younger teens do read this book. I’m worried that they might pick up the vocabulary and to be honest… 12-13-14 year olds are already way too familiar with swear words. As sad as it is I do need to admit that the writing style completely ruins this book series. I hear the swearing lessens in the next books but I’m sure a lot of people give up on this series after the first two. I don’t know why or how the writing style seems to slightly change in the next books but I’m hoping there might be some character development or the authors simply saw the light (finally). However, I will not continue reading this series because the writing style annoys me, I don’t like the protagonist, the summary of the next book (Chosen) doesn’t sound very appealing to me and the plot in general (of the entire series) doesn’t sound good. I read some summaries on the internet for the next books and it just gets more complicated and weird and I don’t like that.

The addition of a new character called Loren Blake is a fail to me. Not because the character isn’t interesting or anything like that but because he turns out to be another love-interest for the protagonist Zoey. While Heath and Erik were introduced to us in Marked and already made things complicated, the authors felt the need to add a third ‘potential boyfriend’ to ruin it even more. I really don’t see why Loren is added. I mean, what girl needs three guys?! This whole situation makes Zoey look like a child that can’t decide what it wants.
And while everyone seems to find this completely normal, Aphrodite is being accused of being a slut. And for what?! This book is absolutely full of contradictions.

This series would be really good if the writing style was different and the characters weren't such kids. I do like the idea of a vampire school and the marks, it’s different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM