April 15, 2012

BOOK REVIEW | Marked by PC Cast and Kristin Cast


Basic information
Title: Marked (Goodreads)
Author(s): P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast (Website)
Series: House of Night #1
Genre: paranormal
Published: May 2007

After a Vampire Tracker Marks her with a crescent moon on her forehead, 16-year-old Zoey Redbird enters the House of Night and learns that she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx and has affinities for all five elements: Air, Fire Water, Earth and Spirit. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite club, is mis-using her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny – with a little help from her new vampyre friends (or Nerd Herd, as Aphrodite calls them)

Overall I don’t think this book is THAT bad. It could’ve been better in some ways but I like the story so far (I don’t know about the next books in the series). I actually read ‘Betrayed’ (HoN #2) a few years ago and liked it even though I didn’t get a few things because of obvious reasons.

I get that a lot of people are negative about it because, like I said, some things could have been better. For instance the language annoyed the crap out of me (relevant example: ‘you scared the poo out of me’ p154, chapter 14). I understand that they want to use teen language because the main character is 16 but the over-use of ‘oh my god/gosh’ and ‘poopie’ is just annoying. No one my age even thinks about using the words poopie or boobie. This makes Zoey, the main character, look like a little child.
Second: in the beginning Zoey is talking to her friend Kayla about her ‘almost-boyfriend’ but I thought this conversation was sooo cliché. Kayla trying to convince Zoey that Heath wasn’t that drunk and Zoey being all like ‘yeah, okay’. This conversation was just superfluous.

Other than that I liked Marked. The writers have thought about this really well. I wouldn’t be able to come up with such a different take on vampires. Who would even think of an actual vampire school? (this made me think: the Vampire Academy series seem quite alike). I like that there is some kind of religion in the book because it’s different and I liked how the book ended. It wraps it up pretty good but makes you curious about what’s gonna happen next.

-    Pro’s:  nice story, different take on vampirism, quik read
-    Cons: language may annoy you, typical teenage girl conversations

I’d recommend this book to older kids (15,16 and older) because there is some content that’s not meant for young teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

All photos on this blog are taken by me unless stated otherwise. My photos can't be used without permission. Book covers are from Goodreads or Google. Book summaries are from Goodreads. All books are purchased with my own money.

Credits

Watercolor flowers via angiemakes.com & social media buttons by Pure Imagination.
Powered by Blogger.

BOOKSTAGRAM